Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 7


-January 14, 2009
This morning I decided to climb to mango trees on our compound and pick fresh mangos for our breakfast. I didn’t know that unripe mango sap will leave itchy blisters on your skin. Needless to say, I currently have one on my arm and two on my side. Ha, what an idiot (as Josh would say). After my glorious display of cultural “competence,” we went to have devotions with the WHIZ Staff in the new WHIZ building that’s still being constructed. It was really cool and educational. I discovered that we Christians in America have a lot yet to learn about prayer from our African brothers and sisters. Zambians sing to God, then lift specific praises to God, then sing again, and finally pray (ask for requests from God). And when they pray, they really pray! Most pray aloud for every personal requests mentioned.

Next I sent some e-mails, had some lunch, and we all went to town. Town was great, and I was many chitenge materials I would like to have shirts made out of, but I also saw a great deal of poverty. These people are all so beautiful and happy despite their bleak situations. After town, we went back home. I wasn’t here a half hour before my soccer buddies climbed up in the trees outside the wall and were waving for me come to play soccer with them. Of course, I did and it was a blast. I feel so much love for them already, but I don’t really know how I can help them while being sensitive to the culture and possible consequences of doing so. Please pray for them, Zambia, the WHIZ Staff, our team, and just Africa in general.

4 comments:

Bub Support said...

hey we are slowly trying to figure out how this whole blog thing works but i think we'll be fine. we have read all of your posts so far and we're glad you're having such a great time. That's great that you have already made some 'soccer buddies' even though we expected no less. it would be great if you could post a picture of them the next chance you got. keep having fun and take care of those blisters :)
-Mason, Slick and Dingy (dinjy)

Elijah Elkins said...

ha, thanks... yea, it looks like you're doing find with it :) i'll try to get a picture of them soon. i'm sure someone in our group has already taken some, but i don't kno who. lol

love you guys a bunch and thanks for everything over the years (even in the thick and thin. ha)

Darcy said...

Hey Elijah,
Are you still in awe of the place? I imagined you would be sleeping on cots over the ground in a tent, but sounds like you have pretty American living conditions? Is there ample good drinking water? What's the climate like? Temp? Clear & stars at night? I am excited for you, have fun and learn lots!

Darcy

Elijah Elkins said...

Yea, it's beautiful here. Environment, people, and just everything about it except the living conditions of many of the people. It breaks my heart... Our home has water, but we were told not to drink the water so we just drink bottled water. The temperature is usually either 70s or 80s during the day I think, but it def. cools off a little at night... Honestly, the sounds stupid now that I think about it, but I haven't looked at the stars yet. I will tho :) ... As far as our living conditions go, they're great compared to many other peoples' here but not compared to home. We love our home, but most Americans wouldn't. haha