Friday, June 5, 2009

San Pedro... Miraflores (Lima)... Matucana

Hola! Well, we spent from last Saturday til this Wednesday in San Pedro de Casta. The bus ride there was 3 hrs long. It´s a mountain village with an altitude of about 11,000 ft. We trained up there, and almost everyone got sick except myself and a couple others. The first night was definitely the most difficult because there was some sort of 24 hr Catholic fiesta. It was great though because my friends Matt, Cal, and myself stayed up while talking about God and praying.
Catholicism has a strong hold on many of the people in Peru and Latin America. Our job as Evangelical Christians is to unteach much of the unbiblical and crappy traditions they have learned and to reveal Christ´s truth in places where none have even heard of Jesus Christo. Catholicism is a relgion, Christianity is a relationship.

Wednesday afternoon, we headed for Miraflores, Lima. We needed a little rest and recuperation before beginning out actual soccer tour of Southern Peru. In Miraflores, we stayed at a sweet hostel for backpackers with another IMB team that ministeres through creative ministry. They were great. During our two days, we ate at McDonald´s, Papa John´s, and T.G.I. Friday´s. It was amazing. You´ll never know how hard it is to eat rice at every meal until you´re in a fairly remote village and must do so. I actually missed our fatty greasy food a little. By the time we left though, I was glad to be done with the American stuff.
Lima had a black market that we had to go to because my backpack busted, as anticipated. I spent about $30 and the bag would´ve cost at least $70 back home, so good deal :) I also bought some alpaca sweaters for Shemiah. Honestly, she´s the one I miss the most. I could spend every centimo or penny I have on her. When it comes to her, there´s no limit of what I´d spend or give-up for her. Still tryin to figure out what to get my awesome parents who never gave-up on me when I have been an idiot so many times. I really couldn´t ask for better parents or family. Love and miss you all :)

Today, we arrived in Matucana. It´s about 3 hrs from Lima also. Most of us really like it here. Tomorrow is our first soccer game and first specific ministry opportunity. The game´s at 3, and we get to play in a pretty sweet little stadium. We´re all pumped and ready to be used by God on this pilot soccer evangelism trip with REAP South under the IMB. Please continue to pray for the people´s hearts here and that God will allow us to minister to them. We´re empty gloves waiting for God to fill us and put us to work through soccer ;)

No comments: